Saturday, July 10, 2010

Why I will not intervene to save people I don't know.

I choose not to get involved in third party conflicts unless there is a threat to me, my best friend, or immediate family.  If I see someone getting mugged/beat up, I'm going to call 911 and be a good witness.  That's it.

Here are my reasons.

  1. There are too many variables, and things are not always as they seem. Undercover cops, some consensual role playing sex game between men or women, the victim being the opposite of what it appears, a domestic where both parties will attack me if I intervene, etc.
  2. A third party under lethal threat has just as much opportunity and right to CCW as I do. The fact they choose not to does not obligate me to risk my life, money, and freedom to save them.
  3. In all likelihood, those I would save probably think that anyone not the police who wants to carry a gun should be classified as a dangerous felon mental case, and will sue me if anything goes wrong.
  4. I am not the police. The police have machineguns, helicopters, radios, but all that does not matter. The most important thing that the police have backing them when they intervene in cases like this is the blue wall of silence and millions of taxpayer dollars to pay lawyers if they screw up.  I have neither.
  5. Much of violent crime consists of one criminal getting even with another criminal over some business dispute or show of disrepect. Why save one criminal from another?
The only time I will shoot other people when they threaten a third party is if I see someone get executed in cold blood and the shooter is between me and the exit, in which case I am going to go through him as I leave.

No comments: